Red Cross Babysitting Course
Teaching leadership and responsibility
This 8 hour in-person OR virtual course offers first aid training and basic care-giving skills for students 11 – 15 years old. Increasingly, parents expect the sitters they hire to have Red Cross training. The program is respected for developing sitters who are comfortable, confident, and competent.
Participants learn about how to prevent and respond to emergencies, how to meet the needs of children of different ages, and how to promote oneself as a sitter.
$65 plus tax for individuals
School group rate of $55 plus tax, Virtual course participants will receive the babysitting manual, a mini- first aid kit, and a diaper. Packages will be dropped off at your home if you are in Winnipeg!
** If you are out of the City or Province, the package will be mailed to you**
Optional Add On: Camp @ Home counsellor in training during the summer only
The course can be completed over a week or a weekend.
Perfect attendance is required to complete the course.
Students must demonstrate their skills and achieve at least 75% on a written exam.
Students who successfully complete the program receive a certificate, a first aid kit, and a copy of the Babysitting Manual.
Dates and Times (all times are in CST):
September 20th- 23rd (5:00 pm-7:00pm)
September 27th- 31st (5:00 pm- 7:00 pm- no class September 30th)
September 24th- 26th (5:00 pm- 7:00 pm on Friday, 9:30 am-12:30 pm on Saturday and Sunday)
The Stay Safe! Course
Real-world scenarios often call on children to respond to challenges. The Stay Safe! program teaches applicable and age-appropriate skills, while increasing and reinforcing a youth’s capacity to improve his or her own safety. Whether in their community or on their own, this group will be given better tools to Stay Safe! in a variety of different situations.
Duration: 5 to 6 hours. Flexible scheduling options. Also available in virtual, instructor-led delivery format
- Importance of responsibility and respect while being accountable for yourself
- Importance of setting and following rules around safety when staying on your own
- How to stay safe at home and within the community
- How to prepare, recognize and respond to unexpected situations, (i.e. inclement weather, strangers, unanticipated visits)
- First Aid Content:
- Check, Call, Care (includes phoning EMS/911), recovery position, conscious choking (adult/child/alone), feeling unwell, asthma (includes use of inhaler and spacer), anaphylaxis (includes use of EpiPen), poisoning, insect stings, wound care (i.e. minor cuts and scrapes, splinters, nosebleeds, bumps and bruises, life-threatening bleeding, burns)
Stay Safe! Workbook
Cost: $55 plus tax
School Group pricing: $45 plus tax
Water Safety Instructor Course
The Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Course prepares candidates to instruct Red Cross Swim programs. Class sizes are small to ensure personal attention throughout the training program so we can most effectively prepare our instructors! Our participants complete this course feeling confident, excited, and ready to take on the world of teaching!
- 15 years of age to begin the WSI – Online.
- Ability to perform Red Cross Swim Kids 10 strokes and skills.
- One of: Red Cross Assistant Lifeguard, Emergency First Aid or higher, or Bronze Cross. Certifications do not need to be current.
- Attend and participate in 100% of all WSI Course components.
- All course components (WSI – Skills Evaluation, WSI – Online, WSI – Teaching Experience, and WSI – Classroom and Pool) are evaluated against specific evaluation criteria on a pass/fail basis.
- All course components must be completed for successful completion of the WSI certification
Cost: $550.00 plus tax and pool admission. The fee includes the required binder and manual.
Aqua Essence NEWSFLASH!
Did You Know…
We offer Camp @ Home, Birthday Party Packages and Lifeguards for Hire for your own events.